October 06, 2022 2 min read
If you're like me, you're always thinking about your weight. Even when I’m not thinking about it, I’m thinking about it! So today I want to give you my top 10 ways to help you shed a few pounds, or jumpstart your results if you're already making progress and find yourself stuck at a certain weight...
1. Eat protein at every meal, including breakfast.
2. Eliminate wheat- and flour-based products for the time being. And yes, that definitely includes bread and pasta.
3. Eat unprocessed foods. Ninety percent of what you eat should be a combination of (in this order of importance) raw vegetables, steamed vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and maybe a few fruits if necessary.
4. Reduce starch to one portion a day, and don't eat that portion during your evening meal. Best choices are beans, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal.
5. Don't overdo fruit: one a day maximum, and only the low-sugar, high-fiber variety. Apples, pears, plums, and berries are all good choices. For now, fruit should be eaten alone or with something light, like low fat nuts. Lose the fruit juice completely.
6. Reduce or eliminate dairy for the time being, especially milk. Exceptions: reasonable amounts of low sugar, fat free yogurt.
7. Lose the booze. Despite what the "studies" say, you lose no health benefits by giving up alcohol (including wine). There is nothing essential in alcohol that you can't get in fruits and vegetables without all the bad side effects that go along with it.
8. Stop using vegetable oils such as sunflower, safflower, and corn oil. The supermarket kind is highly refined, and it oxidizes easily when heated, contributing to arterial plaque. Use olive oil instead, and apply it to food after the food is cooked when possible.
9. Watch which types of fat you're eating. The amount of fat you eat is probably less important than the kind of fat you eat. The worst are fried foods, margarine, and foods that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. The best is omega-3, found in fish and flaxseed oil.
10. Obsessively drink water: At least 8 ounces for every 20 pounds of bodyweight you're now carrying around, each day. Every day. No excuses. BONUS... Get some friggin sleep! No matter how much you diet or exercise, if you're missing just one single hour of sleep, then fat is going to stick to your body (usually in the worst possible spots). I bet you knew I was going to say this, but you also know I’m right!
Here's to your amazing health,
Kirk Parsley M.D.
Creator, Sleep Remedy Formula